Shop Apron Square - Starrett 4" Combination Square Review


I had been keeping a PEC 4" Double Square in my shop apron pocket, which was great.  But I found myself reaching for my Shinwa miter gauge quite a bit.  So, I thought I would try a combination square - one with both a 90˚ and 45˚ fence.  The Starett seemed like an ideal solution.  That said, there were problems with it. The edges of the blade were not flat, the blade was slightly bowed along it's length, and it did not slide smoothly in the slot.  Moreover, it wasn't square.  Granted, I did purchase this from a third-party seller so I may have received a defective item, but there are other inherent issues, as well.  The unit is tiny and lightweight, even more so than the PEC Double Square, which is a very small square.  The Starett 4" Combination Square feels more like a toy than a precision tool, which is disappointing, especially considering Starett's reputation. Not sure if I will try another one.

Comments